This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Sickness Certificates

You should "self–certify" for the first 7 days of absence from work using a form that you should be able to obtain from your employer. Alternatively you can obtain one from the Benefits Agency.

After the first week of sickness – If you have been off work for more than a week you will need a sick note (Form Med 3) from your doctor. You can do this by contacting reception for an appointment. If you need further sick notes your doctor will sometimes be able to issue one after speaking to you on the telephone.

In it´s guide to doctors, the Department of Social Security states that we are not required to issue statements of incapacity to work for periods lasting seven days (including Sunday) or less, or for the first seven days of longer spells. At this practice we observe the DSS guidelines. To do otherwise would place an unnecessary burden on our appointment system from those people who merely want unnecessary certificates for self-limiting illness. This would be to the detriment of those with a real need to see a doctor.

Unfortunately some employers are insisting on a doctor´s note for less than one week´s absence.

For any periods of sickness lasting less than seven days, for which some certification is required, we can issue a private certificate. However, as this certification is not required under the law for statutory sick pay purposes, we do not think it is fair to ask our patients to pay. Should you require such a certificate, we will advise your employer that our fee for this service will be the current BMA rate.

If you still require a certificate then you will be responsible for paying the fee.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website